Searching for missing files can be both time consuming and frustration. Often times these files cannot even be found. FileTrail's Geiger counter feature makes it easy to find missing items. The Geiger counter, which has received a lot of praise from FileTrail clients, works as a detector allowing users to hunt for misplaced or misfiled items. Now with the Geiger Counter feature, once a missing item is detected you hear the Geiger Counter, which indicates in real time when you are getting closer to the detected item. This helps you zero in and find the missing item.
RFID handheld readers have gained a lot of attention from companies utilizing or considering utilizing an RFID system to manage their physical items. With the many unique benefits they provide, companies are opting for handheld readers to accomplish tasks that their fixed readers are unable to. RFID handheld readers provide the following benefits:
- Portable and light-weight: You're able to carry around a handheld where ever your physical assets may be stored, including areas fixed readers may not reach.
- Easy-to-use: The point and shoot technology of RFID handhelds makes it easy enough for any staff member to use. Handheld's often have a user friendly and intuitive screen, often programmed to give audible cues for guidance.
- Cost-effective: The versatility of a RFID handheld allows organizations to purchase and support less devices.
- Efficiency: RFID handhelds do not require a direct line of site to read tags and the read range on certain models can reach up to 20 feet.
With FileTrail RFID, the benefits of handheld readers are extended for even more functionality. FileTrail's SmartMobile is a light-weight portable RFID reader that lets you take the benefits of RFID wherever you go. The FileTrail SmartMobile allows you to:
- Locate misplaced items: Eliminate lost or missing items using FileTrail's Geiger counter tool. Similar to a metal detector, the handheld reader will beep louder the closer you get to a missing item.
- Cut Auditing Time: Automate your entire inventory process. FileTrail RFID simplifies auditing and cuts audit completion time by more than 85%
- Increase Accountability: Audit discrepancy reports help with reconciliation and accountability. Uploading data from the handheld updates the item location and chain-of-custody.
- Reduce Costs: Reduce labor costs while ensuring you have an accurate overview of all physical items, allowing for faster access to data.
RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification a system that transmits the identity of an object or person wirelessly using radio waves. RFID technology allows you to update the information read by readers, unlike barcodes. It also makes it quicker to scan items, as RFID is considered an automatic identification technology. Each RFID tag contains a microchip where the data is stored and antennae to read the information associated with each tag. The data encoded in RFID tags, about the item that has been tagged, is captured by RFID readers through radio waves.
The popularity of RFID has grown tremendously in the past decade as it can track items within a supply chain making it easier to manage. Companies such as Walmart, who have adopted this technology have contributed to its wide spread use. RFID is not limited to use in retail stores. In fact it can be used to track anything.
FileTrail offers a variety of tags for different types of items including:
- Paper-based records and media- With over 10 Million tags deployed for documents, file folders and boxes, FileTrail is the leading provider of RFID file tracking solutions.
- IT assets- FileTrail tracks and manages technology assets with RFID, including iPads, laptops, rack servers, disk drives, monitors, and more.
- Furniture- Assignment and periodic audits are made simple with RFID tags for wood, plastic, and metal surfaces.
- Property & Evidence- RFID tags for evidence bags & boxes, weapons, and property yard item provide both location assignment and perimeter control to secure items
- Weapons- Specialized RFID tags for handguns, rifles, and other weapons provide location assignment, rapid auditing and perimeter control to secure items.
- People- With experience tracking both employees and cadavers, FileTrail has the right body tag for everybody and every body.
Components of RFID:
FileTrail's industry leading RFID solution increases efficiency in locating case files and automates the check-in and check-out of cadavers to more reliably identify possible organs for transplants.
San Jose, CA -- November 30, 2011 - FileTrail Inc. the leading provider of physical records management and RFID solutions has implemented their leading RFID tracking solution at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of Maryland. The powerful RFID technology is being used to track cadavers and case files, increasing efficiency and streamlining overall processes.
"FileTrail stood out among competitors because of the capabilities of their RFID tags. The tags allowed me to leverage RFID at a lower cost for each commissioning location. The RFID sensors set up throughout the entire facility have allowed us to automate file tracking" said Mike Eagle, Director of Information Technology at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of Maryland.
Read the complete press release here.
FileTrail implements a new solution combining physical records management with RFID technology in SharePoint, providing clients using SharePoint as their Enterprise platform the added benefits of enhanced compliance and automatic location tracking.
San Jose, CA – August 2, 2011 – FileTrail Inc. – http://www.filetrail.com – the leading provider of physical records management solutions, today announced the successful integration of RFID technology with FileTrail for SharePoint, their SharePoint-based compliance and tracking suite. RFID technology expands the capabilities of FileTrail’s existing physical records management functionality in SharePoint2010 in several ways. The first benefit is RFID enhances management and compliance of physical records. Secondly, RFID cuts the time to audit by as much as 85 percent and streamlines movement-based transactions such as check-in, check-out, boxing for storage, and more acting as a faster-than-bar coding tool. Finally, RFID enforces security in ways bar coding cannot, namely by securing exits and monitoring business rules which restrict movement of physical records to certain locations.
“FileTrail for SharePoint has been well received by clients across numerous industry sectors,” stated Darrell Mervau, President of FileTrail. “However, our clients in the legal, biotech, and energy sectors have been at the forefront when it comes to requesting our RFID technology.”
RFID technology increases the capabilities of physical records management by automating the processes of locating misplaced records. For many companies a major source of frustration and wasted labor comes from improperly filed records, resulting in the need to search offices and cubicles to locate them. In order to eradicate this inconvenience, FileTrail developed tools to use RFID to locate misplaced files similar to using a metal detector. In addition, FileTrail’s RFID technology is capable of automating file and box location tracking. When FileTrail’s RFID sensors are placed in offices’ drop-ceilings or under work surfaces, they automatically record the location of physical records as they arrive in cubicles or offices, pass through doorways, or reach key locations in the workflow.
“FileTrail continues to hold the leadership position in our industry because year-after-year we focus on being the best at physical records management – we do one thing and we do it better than anyone,” said Tom Pemberton, VP of Product Strategy at FileTrail. “With our latest innovation, we have combined our leadership in SharePoint-based solutions with our expertise in RFID technology to meet the needs of the market for physical item compliance and management,” concluded Pemberton.
FileTrail will be presenting on the use of RFID for compliance and tracking in Washington, DC at SharePoint Saturday The Conference this August. This October, FileTrail will also be demonstrating SharePoint and RFID solutions at the SharePoint Conference in Anaheim, CA and at the ARMA International Conference in Washington, DC.